Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shoshos and Sisters

This past Saturday was when I think I began to truly recognize that many of the people we visit and share life with and the relationships we have made here are more than just acquaintances and friendships - they have become family. I find it so wonderfully strange and beautifully real how many similarities there are in the relationships and interactions and conversations I have back at home and those I've had here - sure, the customs may be different, and the language, and the way we live daily life - but I have been struck by the incredibly simple yet incredibly profound truth that we are all just HUMAN - just broken, searching, relationship-desiring humans. And because of that very deep and so very basic 'common denominator', if you will, we are able to create bonds that go far beyond just surface-level understanding of another's culture or "cross-cultural interaction" - we are able to relate to one another and laugh and joke with each other and truly become family.

Who would have thought, for example, that Shosho Veronica (Shosho means Grandma in the Kikuyu language) from the IDP camp would "adopt me", so to speak, into her family! We met Shosho Veronica the first week that we were handing out food at the IDP camp, and when I first met her I instantly felt so much love and admiration for her. We learned through hearing bits and pieces of her story that she has endured many, many trials and hardships and oppression that we can't even imagine throughout her life, yet she retains a joy and a faith (like so many other persecuted people here) that is beyond inspiring. But not only is Shosho strong and resilient, she is also a tiny (literally, she is less than 5 ft. tall) fiery, hilarious, and spunky little grandma! She had joked the first time we visited her about wanting me to stay and live with her, and when we went back this past Saturday she bantered with Matt for a good 20 minutes about what she would "trade" me for - they settled on me staying with her in exchange for 150 shillings and two puppies (which is a little insulting since I think I'm probably worth more than that, but it was all in good fun :)). I felt incredibly sad to leave Shosho that day knowing that was the last time we would be in the IDP camp, and she made us promise over and over that we will never forget her and that if we ever come back to Kenya we will visit her. In true hilarious Shosho Veronica spirit she also requested that we give her love to our families and to all our cows and chickens back home (direct translation). I promised her that I absolutely will, and I told her that she will forever be in my heart as my Kenyan Shosho.


And then at the Hospital this week, I adopted ANOTHER Shosho into my rapidly expanding family! This wonderful Shosho was named Shosho Annah, and we met her while visiting patients in the Women's ward on Tuesday. She told us her story about how she had been in a matatu accident back in December and how she is one of only 3 people who survived out of the 14 who were in the van. She had bad hip and leg injuries, and has been in and out of hospitals for the past 6 months. We just spent time talking with her and hearing about her life and family, and she asked about our lives back in the States and what we were doing here in Kenya. She was so sweet and joyful and she held our hands as we sat with her and prayed over her. We went back the next day and as soon as she saw us walk in the room her face lit up and she was beaming to see that we had come back to visit her. It was again very difficult having to leave at the end of our time with her because Wednesday was our last day at the Hospital, but we were able to get a picture with Shosho Annah and we assured her that she will be in our thoughts and prayers even when we return home.

Not only did I gain two precious grandmothers this week, but I also acquired approximately 600 new sisters. Yep, 600! After spending time at the IDP camp on Saturday we went to visit Kijabe Girls High School. We hadn't been to the high school yet so I wasn't really sure what to expect - I think I actually thought it might be a little harder or at least more draining than the primary schools we've been working at, because let's be honest, little kids can be much easier to entertain and win over than teenage girls. What I thought was going to be a tiring experience or interaction though was the COMPLETE opposite. We were enthusiastically welcomed and embraced by about 15 girls, and after we chatted with them for a while they invited us to come to their worship service that they have multiple times a week in their auditorium. Needless to say what ensued was SO not what I was expecting. The "service," which I would feel more comfortable calling a "Jesus party," was possibly the most joy-saturated, exuberant worship service I've ever been a part of. I remember thinking it was some sort of oddly fantastic mix between a dance party, a gospel-style praise session, and the approximate volume and excitement level of a Duke basketball game. The 600 or so girls' voices blended together in worship into one of the strongest, purest, most spirit-filled sounds I have ever heard. I was so caught up in the beauty and joy of it all that the only thing I was really aware of was that I didn't want it to end. I was also thinking somewhat subconsciously during those moments about the mind-blowing CRAZINESS of the fact that we were standing there singing completely unabashedly with our sisters in Christ, across the world from our home, in Kenya, together and worshiping ONE God. I can only speak for myself, but that scene right there is one of the most beautiful images of pure joy that I could ever imagine and that I could ever hope to experience. And it was AWESOME. I wouldn't have traded that "Jesus party" - worshiping with my joyous sisters - for anything, and I'll never forget the passion and abandon with which they sang and danced and the inspiration I found in that and in them.

And now, my two months in Kenya is officially coming to a close...I kind of can't deny it anymore because we're currently at a resort-type place doing our team debrief and we have 3 days left in country. The whole thought of leaving to go home in just a few days is emotionally very confusing and bittersweet. I've not only grown accustomed to life here but I've become fond of so many of the aspects and quirks and simplicities of Kenyan life. Not only that, but the thought of leaving my new friends and family - both my team family and my Kenyan family - is heartbreaking. I'm nervous for re-entry for many reasons, but I'm also confident in the Lord to lead me through this next phase of processing and applying what I've seen, heard, experienced, and learned. At this point I can't even know or fully understand all the ways that I've changed and grown, and I know I'll be reflecting on this experience for months and years to come (actually, probably for the rest of my life!) And to all of you - my wonderful friends and family back HOME who are reading this and who I can't WAIT to see - thank you, thank you, thank you for all your support and prayers, and stay tuned for a final blog once I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment